10.25.2008

"The Visitor"

I can't believe I hadn't heard of this one when Stacie picked it at the video store last night. It was one of the best films I've seen in a long time (well, since "There Will Be Blood"). An understated character study of a man whose depressed life is turned around by coming into contact with strangers whom he befriends. Sounds like something you've seen before, right? I know, I know. But it works this time, and it doesn't wrap itself up in a pretty bow to send the viewer off happy like most of them do. It is somewhat predictable once the ball gets rolling and it is perhaps a bit too heavy-handed in getting it's message across...but from the very start the characters interested me and that was sustained all the way to the end. It is a rare occasion indeed when I find myself engrossed in practically every moment of a movie, but "The Visitor" was riveting. I was sorry to see it end.

Anyone who watched this movie and thinks that it doesn't have a happy ending has not penetrated even the extreme surface of the story. I won't give it away.

With that, I admonish you to seek this DVD out. I think you will be very pleasantly surprised.

No comments: