5.01.2010

First Saturday of May, every year, it's the day of the Festival. The local merchants have a lot riding on this day. Small town needs something like this to boost the economy. Parade, carnival, weak-ass musical acts and bands, a queen crowning later tonight all capped off by the festive polka street dance. I suppose it does sound like it might be fun.

Indeed, it probably is, but not when you've seen it as many times as I have. I reached that point some years ago. I can hardly remember the last time I had fun at the Festival. Oh, I like to watch my son march with the band at the head of the parade. But really, that's about it. I don't like carnivals...hate the barkers, will not get on the out-of-date rickety rides and generally distrust carnys. Lots of noise, bustle, too much chaos...screw it.

When I was young the Festival was MUCH bigger than it is now. I have no idea what caused the dwindling attendance, but I wouldn't doubt that the number of people who have showed up the last several years is no greater than 1/3 of that in the late seventies and early eighties. Part of the reason might be because it seems to inevitably rain during the Festival. Back in the day it was ALWAYS sunny. Sometimes down right hot. I have no idea what happened to the weather patterns between then and now, but whatever it was has not helped commerce in this one horse town.

Parade's over, I'll let the wife wind up her visit with relatives, then we're getting out of town for the rest of the day. Standard operating procedure on Festival day.

No comments: