3.21.2010

Rain in Tulsa


I was very disappointed that we didn't get to go to the opera this season. I'd really wanted to see "Rigoletto". But finances did not permit, so that was that.

However, we ARE going to see a Beatles tribute production, "Rain", in a couple of weeks. From what I gather it is a top notch production with all the bells and whistles. There are some song samples on their website and the players really do have the sound of the Beatles down solid. It's going to be at the Chapman Music Hall in the Tulsa PAC, the same venue the Tulsa Opera uses for their shows. It's an excellent facility and the fact that "Rain" is taking place there (as opposed to, say, the Brady theater or Cain's Ballroom) gives me an indication of how elaborate the concert will be.

Truth be told, I will probably enjoy this more than any opera right now. I've listened to so much opera over the last several months that I should really give it a break before I get burned out. Bryan is in a HEAVY DUTY stage of Beatles fandom right now, so there is no question that he is going to love it. My wife, who once professed to not even like the Beatles, has been won over a bit by Bryan's passion for the music so I have no doubt she will enjoy it and probably come away from it liking the group even more. Hell, it's the Beatles.

I've seen only one Beatles tribute band in all my days. They called themselves A Hard Night's Day and played at a club in Dallas. They were very, very good, although they didn't do the whole "appearance similarity" thing. The place was packed and EVERYONE was having a blast. I expect "Rain" will be significantly better, so I plan on having a wonderful time.


No comments: