6.06.2009

The main thing I look for at garage sales are books. I keep an eye out for the classics and books about music. But usually all I ever find are Harlequin romance novels. My mom reads like one of those every single day. I don't know how she does it. I certainly don't care anything about them.

There were no good books at yesterday's sales. LOTS of books about religion. That was the main category to be found. No thanks.

So I figured I'd go to the library and see if they had put any new books on the "for sale" shelf since the last time I checked (about a month ago). You can't even buy books at garage sales for as cheap as the library sells them. 20 paperbacks for a dollar. Eight hardback books for a buck. Sure, the majority of the titles they offer are weak. Sometimes they aren't in the best condition. But that's not always the case.

I snagged a copy of Allan Ginsburg's "Collected Poems", in excellent condition, for a nickel! I'm kind of out of my "beatnik" phase (for now at least) but I couldn't pass up a bargain like that. A hard bound copy of "The Norton Anthology of English Literature" for 12 & 1/2 cents! I've got too many anthologies as it is, but there's no way I was going to let that bargain pass me by. A two volume "Treasury of Great Mysteries" promise to be a good read. All in all I wound up getting 20 books for right around 2 dollars. Admittedly they are not the kind of books I'm going to drop whatever I'm doing to read. But they all look interesting and I'm pretty sure I'll read most of 'em as time goes by.

No comments: