3.09.2009

KUTIMAN!!!!!



I was beginning to get a little bored with all the Stumbling I was doing. Same old crap. Same stupid, unfunny jokes. Same old same old and it seemed like I might have seen the last truly original concept on the Internet a long time ago...you know, it's like that page that says "You have reached the end of the Internet".

But this morning I happened upon a YouTube video from a producer who goes by the name of Kutiman. At first I was unimpressed. It just seemed like a lot of different musicians playing the same song with some visual cut effects thrown in. Big deal, I'm thinking. But after reading the positive comments on the page I had to investigate a little further.

What I found was some of the most innovative, original audio/visual production I have ever seen. Just the concept alone is intriguing. But the Kutiman pulls it off is simply amazing.

So, here's that concept, and it seems simple enough: a video mash-up. If you don't know, a mash-up is a piece of music that is composed almost entirely of other artist's songs, layered over and woven together, combined in such a manner that the result is an entirely unique track.

What Kutiman has done is similar to that, only he works with video as well as sound. Here's collects videos from YouTube...instructional clips, musicians practicing or showing off, that kind of thing...and he throws them all together, mixes them into an actual song, a NEW song (as opposed to whatever it is that the "participants" may be playing).

And here's the REALLY cool part. If you're watching them on Kutiman's THRU YOU website you can access all of the original videos and see/hear what they sounded like before he got ahold of them Just click on the "Credits" button, scroll down to the instrument played and you'll see the YouTube username next to it. Click on that and you'll find yourself at their page, watching their video.

Check this out. I guarantee you WILL be impressed.

No comments: