5.17.2008

I was able to accomplish just about everything I planned to do yesterday.

"Before the Devil Knows You're Dead" turned out to be an excellent film. No happy endings here, that's for sure. I guess you might could call it a "downer", but it was enthralling nevertheless. Highly recommended on all counts.

My son's talent show was a success. He performed very well and I'm sure his popularity will be cemented for another year (after his well-received performance last year).

I was able to read a bit of "The Fires of Heaven". Not nearly as much as I would have liked, but every little bit counts.

Rented and watched "Untraceable" with the wife last night. Quite enjoyable. About a guy who puts up a website where he kills people. The more people who log in to see it, the sooner the victim dies. Brought up a lot of issues about net security, the human condition (indeed, thousands upon thousands of people would actually go to a website like this if it were real...I honestly believe that...think back to the time when the American journalist was beheaded by Islamic terrorists and how many people watched it on the Internet), the pace of technology and our inability to keep up with it... There were a couple of times when it almost seemed to slip into "B Movie" territory, but it rebounded well. Even if it wasn't a star-studded event, it was a well-done movie that I can recommend to anyone whose in the market for a suspense/thriller.

Went to the library this morning and looked at the books they had for sale. Unbelievably priced at 5 cents for paperbacks and a quarter for hardback. I couldn't resist picking up several of them. The best "catch" was a trade paperback of Dalton Trumbo's "Johnny Got His Gun". It's been YEARS since I've read that. It's always been a favorite.

No comments: