5.15.2008

Contrary to previous reports, I am ecstatic to report that

I WILL BE SEEING SIGUR ROS IN KANSAS CITY MISSOURI ON JUNE 12TH!!!!!!

The trip is going to kill me, what with gas prices most likely in the $4+ range by then. But it is vacation time, the wife and kid want to go somewhere (though they have opted not to attend the show...they are not the stalwart Sigur Ros fans that I am). The Grand Prix has proven reliable the last few times we've gone on long trips, so we're gonna put our trust in it. It's very likely we'll have put new tires on it by then. Plus, an oil change and general tune-up will likely have been performed on it as well. Hopefully that won't be an issue.

The ticket was cheap, though. About $35. General Admission, so I will probably show up about 3 hours before the doors open so I can get a choice seat. I don't know that I want to be right up front...I think the noise level would be too high. But I would like a good seat in the center of the venue, not too far back from the stage.

This is my second time to see them. When I saw them in 02 I was not as big a fan as I am now. It was by far the best concert I'd ever been to up to that point. The chances are very good that I'll find this one to be even better. I'm really wanting to hear stuff from "Takk". Of course, I'm anxious to hear new material, but to be honest, I kind of like to get familiar with an album before I hear it performed. I don't think that will be too much of an issue, though, since much of what I've heard from the upcoming release features a full orchestra and a boys choir. I doubt they will be sporting an entourage that big when they blow through Kansas City.

One might think it strange that I'd be attending the concert all by my lonesome. The fact of the matter is that I simply don't know anyone who'd want to see the show with me. Most of my friends are into different types of music. I do know one guy who I'd like to be there, but he can't make it because of his job. I know he would if he could, because he's seen them at least 3 times and this venue is a lot closer than some he's gone to. It's okay, though. When I saw TOOL I was alone. To be perfectly honest, I think I'd RATHER be there by myself. I'm a loner, anyway. There's no way my being alone will detract from how much I'll enjoy the occasion.

I wish I had a camera phone, though.

No comments: