4.30.2008

Mozilla Firefox RULES!

I don't know what took me so long to switch to Mozilla Firefox.

I guess it was the comfort of familiarity, as I've used Internet Explorer ever since we got our forst computer in 1999. Everything was hunky dory until they "upgraded" to IE 7. It's not as if I had a choice, either, as it automatically installed itself.

Internet Explorer 7 gave me nothing but grief the entire time I used it. Not being used to tabs, it took me a little while to familiarize myself with them. I even came to like them better than opening a new window. But then I'd click on sites that automatically opened into new windows...which would have been fine, but the browser wouldn't let me close them. If I tried it would shut down everything and I'd have to restart. Whenever I'd upload a photo here I'd get the Upload window and it worked fine (usually) but I had to leave it in the control panel because if I closed it the whole she-bang would go.

Then there were the times (and there were NOT few) when I'd get error messages out of nowhere and the program would crash. It's very frustrating to lose work simply because your browser does shit like this. Or to worry about if it's going to do it.

My wife had switched to Firefox a few months back. She told me countless times that it was much better than IE. I was not convinced. I'd see Firefox load a page and it looked so different from IE's loading that I guess I convinced myself it was too different for me to mess with.

What a fool I was.

Mozilla Firefox is infinitely superior to Internet Explorer 7. Pages load faster, there are no unexpected crashes, new windows are not a problem for it. Even better, there are a bevy of add-ons you can install that make the appearance and functionality of the browser a very individual thing. For instance, I've got a toolbar that searches artists, albums, songs etc at AllMusic.com and automatically re-directs me to othe corresponding page on the website. That is as cool as it gets, IMO!

I don't know if the IE7 issues were on my end. I do know that we've heard several similar complaints from many people. It doesn't matter. I'll never use IE again.

No comments: