11.10.2007

I've been listening to...

Everybody disses Chicago...but they were'nt always the sappy middle-of-the-road adult comtemporary band they turned into. "Chicago VII" is rife with tasty jazz licks and some really good soft rock songs. My favorite Chicago song is on this one... ("I've Been) Searching So Long"...and their collaboration with the Beach Boys on "Wishing You Were Here" has always been one of their greats.

In my opinion, even though their first 10-11 albums yielded some very good music, "Chicago VII" was their best.

I'm on a Patti Smith kick after seeing her name in an issue of Art Forum International magazine. I realized that I hadn't given nearly enough attention to her stuff, and I have almost every one of her CDs. I mean to correct that oversight. "Easter" is the only one I'm very familiar with (one of the great albums of the late 70's...I think the title track of that album is very likely her finest moment).

Her merging of edgy rock music with spoken word poetry is not something that you hear a lot of artists do...and especially not as good as she does it.

There's not a moment on this entire CD that does not have the power to move me, to pull me into it's heavenly sound world and make me want to stay. I think it is certain that Sigur Ros will remain my favorite band until the day I die. Seriously, I have never loved a band more than I do this one.

But thats' no surprise...you all knew that.