9.14.2007

A pessimistic rant.

Sorry to steer the conversation from the REAL important news. Fuck that, I say. Curl up in you cocoon, roll with the flow, wait for someone to drop the bomb and be content that it will all be written in future textbooks on Western Civilization, or maybe we'll get lucky and the whole damn earth will have to re-boot the evolutionary process. Who's to say it hasn't already happened? What comes around goes around. Optimists have hope for the future. But I say that as long as we still possess the crowning glory of the scientific communities gift to mankind, the atomic bomb, that future should realistically be measured in terms of centuries and not millenias.

We were all told, those of us who grew up in the 50's and 60's, that nuclear annihilation was not a matter of "if" but "when". And you know what? They were dead-on right. They just figured it would happen in their lifetime (it seems like that "world is ending" mantra has always been a popular one). They also had reason to believe that, though devastating, a nuclear attack would affect a relatively small area, that the loss of human lives would not be overwhelming

But hear you me...such will not be the case in the decades and centuries to come. Global warming may not get the chance to fuck everything up. We're perfectly capable of doing it ourselves, thank you. But everything WILL get fucked up.

Which is not to say that people shouldn't be concerned with current events to a great extent. This is more an apologetic for the ones who don't give a rat's ass. I think I fall somewhere in between those two extremes...but let it be known that I think there is a lot of stupidity that passes for news, I think there are too many people obsessing and arguing about things they have absolutely no power to change, I think the media is a circus and I'd trust a homeless bum calling himself a prophet before I'd completely trust them, I think one of the main things that have contributed to the FACT that we live in a neurotic nation can be summed up in 3 words; Too Much Information. Data has replaced Nature as an altar to bow down to. I don't care how intellectual you may be, NOONE can process that incredible amount of information.

Oh well...I just wanted to get that out of my system before I crawl off into my cocoon and wait for the flood.

Good luck.