7.11.2007

Lottery, Hokey Pokey, Etymology

Please remember me, because I'm worth remembering first of all, but also because if you remember me you'll have a better chance of winning the lottery. Don' t ask me how I know this, just accept it as the truth and you will not be disappointed. The lottery is a rigged game, and it's really not all that hard to win if you just follow my simple 3-step, fool-proof method:
Step one...place your hands on your hips
Step two...shake it all about
Step three...Do the hokey pokey and you turn yourself around
And that, my friend, is what it's all about.
You don't have to trust me on this, but if you do I really think you'll win the lottery. Even if you don't win the lottery you'll have had yourself a jolly good time doing the Hokey Pokey, eh?
The etymology of the words "Hokey Pokey" is actually more interesting than the game itself (if that is possible).
"Hokey" is derived from an ancient Egyptian term 'Hokelemus' which means "one who enjoys cleaning septic tanks". There is also a second, subliminal aspect to the word which is rendered. "Please let me give your mother a bath, she look so sexy covered in all those bubbles, the warm water dripping down her flushed pink skin. I'll give you a quarter..."
As for "Pokey", the root word is from the Spanish/Mexican 'el Pokeleskaleflatillacasasenoritaiwouldverymuchenjoyanotheroneofyourdeliciousburritosita'. The meaning is not easily discerned, but scholars in many institutions of higher learning are fairly confident that it translates as:
"Please let me give your mother a bath, she look so sexy covered in all those bubbles, the warm water dripping down her flushed pink skin. I'll give you a dollar..."
So, now that you know all you need to know about the Hokey Pokey, get out there and buy up those lottery tickets.
And good luck!

No comments: