5.17.2006

"Ariel Besieged" from Bipolar Confessional

You'd be surprised at how much traffic this board actually gets...
Unfortunately an extraordinary amount of visits I get here are people looking for a photo of Alison Angel that I once posted while in a daring, cavalier mood... a mood that was not to last long, and the photo has been long gone.
Still, the matrix tells the folks who are looking for this particular shot of Angel through the Google search engine that it can be found here. I'm sure the vast majority, when they realize that no pics of the lovely Alison are forthcoming, leave this blog without reading anything.
I don't blame 'em... I mean, have you seen Alison Angel?
But no, guys, you won't find 'em here anymore. Sorry. Don't know what I was thinking.

I just finished reading a book called A Layman's Guide to Protestant Theology that I found immensely enjoyable and thought-provoking. I was especially intrigued with the theology of Karl Barth, Reinhold Niebuhr, Paul Tillich and Dietrich Bonhoeffer (whose The Cost of Discipleship I read and enjoyed some months ago). I would like to read up on those guys... it's too bad the library in this small town is so chincy. They have Benny Henn but nothing by Niebuhr or Barth. Sad, I know.

Anyhoo, here's a poem that I wrote a few hours ago and just published in the
Bipolar Confessional...figured I'd share it here as well. Perhaps one of Ms. Angel's fans might find in it some consolation at not getting the photo:


Ariel Beseiged


Speak to me from the ground
O Ariel, beseiged
You have been brought low
By the hand of the One
You once called "Beloved"
Speak, Ariel
Your voice ghostlike
Whispering out of the dust
His strategy was impenetrable
His siege works,
Year to year,
Crushed.

I hear thunder, loud clashes that echo in the stillness of this muggy, humid night, thirsty for rain, soon quenched, the hammer of Thor strikes like the flogging of a condemned man, back broken, beseiged
The earth cannot hold back it'e excitement at my coming...it shakes and quakes and re-arranges itself giving no consideration to the masses displaced on a whim, Behold, it's EARTHQUAKES I prophecy.
Great noise awesome ear-blistering cacophony the likes of which have not been heard since the advent of My Bloody Valentine's Loveless album, loud and bottom heavy, windstorm and tempest.
Let's re-cap: Thunder. Earthquake. Great noise...and to crown it all with glory:
Flames of devouring fire.
Imagine your destiny being as one condemned to the custody of flames of devouring fire.
I am NOT making light of this.
These flames and their intensity
Demand to be taken seriously
And so shall it be, amen, Selah and Shalom
These flames, this whole Apocalypse Now set-up
It's for all those you call "enemy"
Ariel
It's for all those who call you "enemy"
Ariel, but woe to you
I have already crushed them into fine dust
Like chaff blown by the wind
(But no answer there, my friend)
The ruthless hordes have scattered.
And the word came down:
Those who fight against my altar hearth
Stunned, amazed
Sightless, you will blind yourselves
Drunk and staggering
But the wine and beer aren't to be blamed
This euphoria is straight from the one called Yahweh
Who has now sealed the eyes of the prophets
And covered the heads of the seers.


May 17 2006 on Isaiah 29

No comments: