12.02.2005

Dylan Project Update


Bob Dylan Bringing It All Back Home

The "Dylan Project" continues, and hoo-boy is this a good 'un! Favorites at this point are "Gates of Eden" and "It's Alright Ma (I'm Only Bleeding)". Hate to say it, but the full band material doesn't really impress me like the more stark, bare acoustic only stuff. I'm no folkie purist, obviously, but there's just something about the impact of these incredible lyrics set next to minimal instrumentation that is lost with bass, drums, etc.
And I doubt that I'm alone in wishing that Dylan had never learned how to play harmonica.
My nerve-damaged ears just can't take much of that screeching harp...

1 comment:

Louis said...

I've been digging back into Dylan, too. Freewheelin' is my favorite pre-electric album, and I love the Bringing It . . .-Highway 61 Revisited-Blonde on Blonde triumvirate.

After that, I love the assorted songs he did with the Band, John Wesley Harding and Blood on the Tracks.

All of those are must-haves. Some "should-haves": Desire, Infidels, Oh Mercy, Time Out of Mind and Love and Theft.

One other thing -- have you read Chronicles? It's an excellent read, well written and just loopy enough that you know it's Dylan's work and not some ghostwriter's.