8.02.2005

Ain't No Veg, Harold, I'm Sorry

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

One more reason why I will never, EVER be a vegetarian.
Steak-Umm Express BBQ beef is some of the tastiest I've ever had, and it's SO easy to prepare. Just pop a bag into the microwave and let 'er go for 2 minutes...then pour it out onto a bun and you're good to go (I actually prefer it on Roman Meal or HomePride Honey Whole Wheat bread).
Believe it or not, I DON'T use the microwave as much as I imagine most Americans do, but you can bet I'll be utilyzing it in the future plenty when I've got Steak-Umms in the freezer.
Not too expensive...around 6 dollars for a box of 5. They are well worth every penny if you're judging by taste alone. Scrumptious. I just ate 3 sandwiches worth (yeah, I know...a tad gluttonous, but hey, it's late and I didn't eat dinner), along with a few Vlasik Zesty Dills and some Pepper Jack cheese...I am stuffed, as you might guess, but my taste buds are still singing the praises of this no-effort combo.
My wife says I'll get burned out on them, like I do everything else I take a fancy to. The last few months I've been wolfing down Swanson's Hungry Man beef steak tips (with peppers and onions, smothered in bourbon sauce) and mashed potatoes. There's like a pound and a half of food in those puppies, and they sure go well with a few slices of buttered bread. But alas, I did get burned out on the stuff, and probably won't want anymore for several months.
Other reasons I'll never be a vegetarian include:
~~~Pepperoni...My all-time favourite meat. On pizza, in a salad, plain with honey mustard, in spaghetti...the possibilities are endless.
~~~O'Berto Beef Jerky...I never liked beef jerky until a couple of years ago when I travelled to Denver with some friends to see a Sigur Ros concert and we sampled various brands and flavours of jerky all the way up there and back. I developed a taste for it, and O'Berto has long been my preferred brand. If I can choose, I like the BarBQ flavour and the Teriyaki, but the Peppered and Hickory Smoke is good, too. Can't say I'm all that fond of Original.
~~~Hebrew National Beef Franks...Though I'm not excessively fond of hot dogs, I gotta say these Hebrew Nationals are tasty as all get-out. I favoured Ball Park bun-length beef franks until I tasted the HNs and now I don't think I can ever go back. It's GOTTA be BEEF franks...I don't particularly care for the pork variety and I will NOT eat any that have turkey or chicken in 'em. Just a quirk of mine...
~~~BLT sandwiches...What is it about the combination of bacon, lettuce, tomatoes and lots of Miracle Whip dressing on toast that is so mouth-wateringly delicious?
~~~Robertson's Ham...I think I posted about how much I love Robertson's ham in a previous entry on this very blog. Nothing's changed since then, I assure you. You have not tasted ham until you've tried Robertson's. Don't ask me what makes it so much better than any other ham I've ever eaten...but it is.
~~~Pizza Hut Deep Dish Italian Sausage w/Red Onions Pizza...Having only recently developed an insatiable appetite for red onion, I felt obligated to include this item, even though pepperoni is my staple pizza topping. Those onions sho 'nuff taste good mixed with the Italian Sausage.
~~~Braum's Cheeseburgers...with lots and lots of salt.
~~~Burger King Whopper w/cheese...Hopefully the BK you're at is one of the better ones. I've seen some that would put you off of your appetite. I once went to the restroom at a BK in Tulsa, where I joined a cook from the restaurant at the urinals. He DID NOT wash his hands before returning to work. Needless to say, I never ate at that one again. Twas a shame, because the Whopper has always been THE fast food burger that tops 'em all.
~~~Taco Mayo soft tacos...It's the sauce. Took some time getting used to, as it was initially a bit too hot for my tastes, but once I got used to it there was no going back to Taco Bell. The Bell's okay, though, but Mayo grinds their burger meat a bit finer, and I appreciate that.
~~~Chili's steak...Costs an arm and a leg, but I took my family to Chili's during our vacation and ordered a steak dinner...of course, they had to take it back and cook it some more so it would meet my criteria for "well done", but it was worth the wait (most all better steak places seem to think that "well done" means "still a little bit of pink in the center"...I'm going to start telling them to "burn it").
~~~Hard Salami...NOT regular salami or cotto salami, mind you. I can't stomach the notion of eating pork hearts. But hard salami, to my knowledge, is "heartless" and makes an excellent snack with a dollop of mustard to go with it.
So there you go.
A few reasons why I'll keep on chowin' down on meat, no matter how much of a guilt trip PETA might want to lay on me.

I'm also big into Granny Smith apples right now, too...

No comments: