4.11.2011

Music Video of the "Week": Prince, Tom Petty, Jeff Lynne, Dhani Harrison...

Sorry I didn't do a MVotW last Wednesday, and most likely I won't get around to doing one this week, either. Not so much apathy as just...oh, I don't know why. But this one will make up for both, I promise. I'd heard some while back that the guitar solo Prince does in the George Harrison R&RHoF tribute was amazing, but I've only just now come around to checking it out. It is not only amazing, it will raise the hairs on the back of your neck. It will bring the goose bumps out of hiding. Only a few seconds into it and you realize that you're in for a real treat. There is a bit of showboating, especially towards the end, but hey, it's Prince. I'm not a fan of his work in general, as I don't really enjoy the kind of music he creates. I'll tell ya this, though...if he decided to put out a "rock" record and it sounded anything like this I have no doubt it would be an instant classic. Critics used to compare him to Hendrix in the early 80s on the strength of songs like "Purple Rain". I always thought that was a crock of shit, but honestly he hits Hendrix territory in this solo. But enough of my blithering. Listen for yourself.


"While My Guitar Gently Weeps"
Prince, Tom Petty, Jeff Lynne, Dhani Harrison...

No comments: