3.08.2011

Cymbalta...no thank you

I've seen the television ads for Cymbalta, an anti-depressant, and I thought, "hey, this may well be just what I need!" But since I take other medications I wanted to make sure there would be no dangerous interactions. So I googled it and this is what I found:

Common Cymbalta Side Effects:


Check with your doctor if any of the following side effects continue or are bothersome:


Cough; nausea; diarrhea; constipation; dizziness; dry mouth; fever; frequent urination; headache; lack or loss of strength; loss of appetite; muscle aches; sleepiness or unusual drowsiness; sleeplessness; sore throat; stuffy or runny nose; increased sweating; difficulty sleeping; insomnia; unusual tiredness or weakness; vomiting; weight loss


Less Common Cymbalta Side Effects:


Check with your doctor if any of the following side effects continue or are bothersome:


Abnormal orgasm; acid or sour stomach; belching; change or problem with ejaculation; decreased interest in sex; difficulty in moving; erectile dysfunction; fear; feeling of warmth or redness of the face, neck, arms and occasionally, upper chest; heartburn; indigestion; joint pain; muscle aching or cramping; muscle pains or stiffness; nervousness; shakiness in legs, arms, hands, feet; stomach discomfort upset or pain; sudden sweating; swollen joints; trembling or shaking of hands or feet


Always notify your doctor if you experience these Cymbalta side effects:


Abdominal or stomach pain; fast heartbeat; blistering, peeling, loosening of skin; chills; clay-colored stools; cold sweats; confusion; convulsions; dark urine; decreased urine output; difficulty swallowing; eye pain; general tiredness; itching, puffiness, or swelling of the eyelids or around the eyes, face, lips or tongue; increase thirst; itching; joint or muscle pain; swelling on face, eyelids, lips, tongue, throat, hands, legs, feet, and/or sex organs; light-colored stools; red irritated eyes; red skin lesions, often with a purple center; redness of skin; sores, ulcers, or white spots in mouth or on lips; swelling of face, ankles, or hands; tearing; tightness in chest; bad breath; upper right abdominal pain; wheezing; yellow eyes and skin


If you experience any of the following serious Cymbalta side effects, stop taking Cymbalta and contact your doctor immediately or seek emergency medical treatment:


difficulty breathing; closing of the throat; swelling of the lips, tongue, or face; hives; an irregular heartbeat or pulse; low blood pressure; dizziness, fainting, lightheadedness or weakness; high blood pressure; severe headache; blurred vision or other difficulty seeing; chills or fever; unusual bleeding or bruising; rash; coma; vomiting of blood


Other Cymbalta side effects not listed above may also occur in some patients. If you notice anything unusual while taking Cymbalta, check with your doctor.


***********************************

Uh, did I read that right? OTHER SIDE EFFECTS NOT LISTED??????? As if those aren't more than enough to keep me as far away from this poison as possible? I understand that there are going to be side effects with all medications and that not everyone will experience all, many, or in the rare case, any of them. Still, look at that list and tell me you wouldn't proceed with the utmost caution in deciding if the "cure" is worth the "curse" of these side effects. As for me, I see it as if one were to reach into a basket full of poisonous snakes in order to retrieve treasure. A crap shoot. Playing with fire.

If you're gonna DIE for NOT taking this stuff then I guess you've got no choice. Otherwise...it's up to each individual to choose.

I'll wait until psychiatric medicine has evolved to the point where I don't feel like a guinea pig for taking stuff like this. I consider myself more than lucky that I've been able to find a combination of medicines that manifest relatively few side effects (even if a couple of them are a real pain and detract from my quality of living, at least I won't have red skin lesions with purple centers and white spots on my mouth and in my lips, not to mention vomiting blood and swollen genitalia).

No comments: