3.19.2010

Ordered my copy of Jonsi's "Go"

I pre-ordered Jonsi's solo album yesterday. I don't think I've ever pre-ordered anything before in my life. But I'm very excited about this one and there were several goodies included for those who wanted to shell out the extra cash to pre-order. Just 35 bucks, but the shipping and handling (from Iceland or the UK) is a staggering 7.50. I don't imagine it will be any more than $15 plus tax on day of release, so what persuaded me to opt for the "early bird special"? Well, it comes with a special limited edition DVD of Jonsi performing all the songs stripped down, in acoustic renditions. That will be interesting. Plus, I got an immediate download of the second single, "Go Do", which has only been released as a music video. 2 other unreleased song downloads are also included at time of purchase, and an EP will be available via download on the day the disc is released. All for those of us who got in on the ground floor, as it were. The website also promises "other goodies" between now and date of release, so it will be fun to see what they mean by that.

Take my word for it, the two songs you can download at purchase are PHENOMENAL. I wasn't sure about them, because usually there is a good reason why songs don't make it to the albums they were recorded for. Not saying that they are always sub-standard, but almost always they won't rise to the standards of the rest of the production. These two songs, however, are really great, and if they are "outtakes" in the typical sense of the word, this album is going to be stellar...a record that will hold it's own with every important and seminal album ever released.

Jonsi is in FINE form on these tracks. I don't think he's ever sounded better. You could hear it on "We Sing Endlessly...", the strength and timbre of his voice. Still singing the bright falsettos, but with even more control and fullness. The first single, "Boy Lilikoi" (released about three months ago), had a distinct Marc Bolan feel to the singing. Intentional or not, it was impossible for me to listen to the song without feeling like Bolan's spirit was being miraculously channeled. But he sounds like nothing but himself on these other songs. Passionate. Majestic. Soaring and free. Angelic and natural. Pure. The first time I listened to "Go Do" on my stereo my goosebumps had goosebumps. His voice sounds like that of a grown man who has yet to lose his innocence. It's asexual (IMO) and so it doesn't appeal to the poles of gender that most popular music does. It makes language unnecessary. Though he sings in English on a good portion of "Go" I have to say that I could care less. His thick Icelandic accent makes it too difficult for me to understand..."All Alright", from the last Sigur Ros album, was the first time he sang a complete song in English...I STILL can't understand all of the words. I even dispute the lyric sites because I haven't found a one that didn't have a couple of very questionable interpretations. Same with "Boy Lilikoi"... I'm not satisfied that any of them are 100% correct...that's all fine by me. I hope there's no lyric sheet with the album.

Musically these tracks are so multi-layered and rich that you are going to have to spend some time with them. Like a forest that seems daunting from the outside, but once you're in everything becomes full of wonder and excitement. Like nothing you've ever heard, and that's another reason why you'll need to wait a couple of spins before the magic is worked.

It's just about 3 weeks until the album gets here...something special to look forward to. That's always a good thing to have.

No comments: