2.22.2010

"Original" album cover art

These are "album covers" I made for some cassette tapes I had of my first band and a couple of "solo records". Pulled from various magazine articles, I nevertheless exercised great care in the artwork I chose. I still think three out of the four are really great and would make excellent cover art for a certain kind of group.

This one is probably my favorite. It's from a solo record, but I chose to give it the name "Atrocity Exhibition" (as everyone knows, "Atrocity Exhibition" is the name of a Joy Division song...or maybe not EVERYONE knows...). I wish I could remember the name of the guy who produced this art. I liked everything I saw by him. I used another of his pieces for what became my favorite of all the Big Sleep flyers I threw together. As for the music on the "album"...basically all done on 4-Track, and sounds absolutely nothing like what you'd expect to hear from a project with a name like "Atrocity Exhibition". A few good songs, though.

From "Enlightenment & Confusion", which, actually, was never a realized project. Nothing but an album title and cover art. Great cover art, though, don't you think? And an AWESOME title. Back then I could probably have written an entire album's worth of songs that would merit such a title. Not so much these days. I guess that's probably a good thing.

This is the first attempt I made at procuring art for cassette tape covers. My band was called Nine Stories back then...long before Lisa Loeb's band copped the name...so there was a certain ambiguity to what I had in mind. We actually took the name from J.D. Salinger's book of the same title, so that didn't really mean anything, either. Anyhoo, I do like this one a lot.

And this one is my least favorite. I don't know...some people might like it. It was made for a recording of the last concert Nine Stories ever played...by that time we had changed our name to Little America (from the song by R.E.M., who were a little infatuated with at the time).

No comments: