2.24.2010

I'm finally "getting" "Go Do"

I don't know what's been keeping me from listening to Jonsi's new single over and over and over again. "Go Do" has been out for some time now. And I practically worship the guy. Maybe I'm just too worried that this solo project is going to contribute, along with the other guys' familial duties, to the end of Sigur Ros. I don't like to think of that ever happening, but by the same token all good things must come to an end. They'll have left on a high note, if this really is the end. Not a single bad record in all the years they've been with the current line-up (I never listen to "Von", so I haven't developed a taste for it yet...at least not enough of one to where I would place it in the same category of all that came after).

I really believe that it is the chemistry between the four members that makes Sigur Ros work. Obviously Jonsi is the focus of most attention the band receives. I don't think Kjartan, Georgi or Orri have a problem with that. Their artistic vision is a shared one. As is usually the case, if you take away one element everything changes. For example, Georgi's bass lines are about as rudimentary as they get. Still, even so, he knows how to exercise the proper amount of restraint that fits so perfectly with the band's one-of-a-kind sound. Most folks might not realize it, but if you ask any drummer worth his salt what they think of Orri's playing you will be surprised at how highly regarded he is...because he has such a UNIQUE style, and it, too, compliments the "Sigur Ros" sound. Kjartan sort of stays hidden behind his banks of equipment, but his soundscapes are essential. It's like, if Jonsi's guitars & vocals are dolphins, Kjartan's music is the water they swim in. These guys are Sigur Ros, every bit as much as Jonsi is.

But Jonsi, Jonsi, Jonsi, Jonsi...that's all you ever hear about. It was that way before, and now that the promotional juggernaut for "Go" has been launched it seems even more prominent. And as much as I really do like "Riceboy Sleeps", it's just not all I want to hear from an integral member of my favorite band. I think it was realistic that I had my doubts about the new album. Even after putting "Boy Lilikoi" in repeat mode right after I downloaded it, I was still skeptical. Don't misunderstand...I think that song is really good. If the entire album is on the same level as that one song it will still be great. And yet, it didn't spark the same kind of excitement an impending Sigur Ros release would have.

Well, that's all changed. I finally sat back and tried to absorb all the many layers of "Go Do". That was the problem, I think: there's just so much going on that you don't "get it" until you listen a little closer. When you do you can't help but get swept away by Jonsi's vocal harmonies. The way he uses his voice as a percussive instrument, right along with the "foot stomping" rhythms, is impossible not to be caught up in. The melodic lines are wonderful and there's just such a sense of joy and abandonment that even a cold blooded cynic like me can't help from smiling. Sometimes I think that the only real joy I ever experience in my life is during some of Sigur Ros' songs, but there's no denying that "Go Do" gets that job done.

So things have changed. Instead of lamenting no new SR album this year I am thrilled that Jonsi has been given the opportunity to create something like this. Indeed, as I said before, the album will be great if it's all as good as "Boy Lilikoi". If it's all as good as "Go Do"? Oh, my God. I can't even imagine how much I will love "Go" if that turns out to be the case.

No, I don't understand a damn thing he's saying... Yes, I realize he's singing in English this time around. No, I don't care. Yes, I'll probably know all the words a week or two after I first get the record. No, I still won't be able to sing along with his angel's voice (much too high). Yes, I will try. No, you don't want to be around me when I do. Yes, I'll give you fair warning.

WATCH the video...

Jónsi - Go Do from Jónsi on Vimeo.

Actually, just LISTEN to it. That's another thing that sort of kept me from enjoying the song as much as I do now. The video is just visual overload. It seems like calculated weirdness...too much color, too choppy, too this, too that...Nothing wrong with a little color, mind you, but the song has more than enough color in itself. You add that with all the rainbow hues in the video and you're left with more than the senses can process at one time. Furthermore, this is Jonsi's breakthrough point. Anyone who hasn't seen that coming simply has not been looking. First impressions are lasting ones, and I would just as soon not hear people saying, "Oh, Jonsi? Isn't he that guy who beats up a suitcase and liberates the birds?" Because THAT is what they're going to remember. Not the awesome voice, or the dynamic music or the originality of the whole process...just the Birdman of Alcatraz who hangs around the aviary so long he morphs into a bird himself. Just plain wacky.

So what would I have done to make it better?

I would have left the video cameras at home. Visuals, as far as I'm concerned, do this song a disservice. Conceptional interpretations fall flat. The man singing in an empty room, that would be just fine. Maybe kind of like Springsteen did with his "Brilliant Disguise" video. Otherwise, I don't care if I ever see it again.


No comments: