9.11.2009

Not once, but TWICE Netflix has sent me a damaged disc of Wagner's "Die Walkure" Acts 2 & 3. The first one had a crack between the hole and the end of the disc. The second one, which I only received yesterday, was completely cracked in half. How this doesn't get noticed at their distribution centers, I will never know. What makes it worse is that I watched the first act, has to have been at least a week and a half ago. I'd hoped it would be a short turnaround so I could get to the 2nd and 3rd acts promptly. But this is not happening. By the time they get a replacement disc sent I will need a refresher course on what I've already seen. Even worse, I don't think I like this particular production of the opera. Tries too hard to be modern. There is a lot of unexpected sexuality to it (at least the first act has a good lot), and this helps. It's not terrible but it does make me reconsider giving the Copenhagen Ring's "Das Rheingold" a second chance and to see what come from that. I don't guess there are any traditional productions available on DVD (especially when DTS 5.1 is a necessity). I didn't get "Das Rheingold" with this production company...actually, now that I think about it, the DVD was not the one that was shown on the Netflix page. Description was different, cast listings...I don't know how they could have fucked this one up so bad. Members, in their reviews, have complained about this very thing. To be honest, I doubt very seriously that I will watch the other "Ring" cycle operas with this production company (Stuutgardt, I think).

No comments: