8.21.2009

Okay, it's been some time since I put up a REAL post here. I've been too busy playing Farkle and UNO on facebook...okay, that's not all, but I definitely do waste far too much time doing those things. I've been a "Pro Member" in the Farkle game for a couple of weeks and that means I can play against other people instead of trying to get the most points in 10 rounds. The competition has always been what makes the game fun for me, and it's cool that I'm playing against people from all over the world. Same with the UNO game. Chat boxes in both games so you can find out where your opponents are from and do the typical emoticon-laced chatty chat with them.

Still downloading a shit load of music from all the music blogs I've found in the last several months. Some real treasures. Slade's "Slayed?" album...the Monkees' "Music Box" 4 disc set, some comedy albums that I used to have, like Cheech & Chong's "Big Bambu" and "Wedding Album"...I've downloaded so many complete operas it isn't even funny.

You say, "Jimbo, isn't it illegal to download this music? Isn't it morally unacceptable? Aren't you guilty of depriving artists their livelihood?" To which I say, "It isn't so black and white as all that." Here's what I mean.

I'm 47 years old...I get a Social Security Disability check once a month, out of which I spend 95% on rent and the utilities bill. Sure my wife makes enough money that we can live moderately comfortably, but she doesn't download OR buy music. My point being that even if I WANTED to pay for all the music I listen to (which I do) I couldn't, because I don't have the money and don't have the means to get the money for that purpose. So basically the ONLY way I'm going to be able to hear this music, probably 99% of which I am already familiar with, is to download it, burn it to CD and then delete the files.

So that brings up this point...situation as it is, do you think the musicians/artists would have a problem with me hearing their music? I mean to say would they want their work to be heard by as many people as may appreciate it? Or do you think they only want it to be exposed to people who can afford to pay for it? What are their intentions in putting it out in the first place? As an artist myself I can say that getting the music out there to the people should be the prime motivating factor for any band. Usually when the goal is money you wind up with shit music that the discerning listener won't enjoy or want to listen to in the first place. My situation, as it is...no, I don't think I'm doing anything that's morally unacceptable. Illegal? Oh, well. Marijuana is illegal, but that won't stop me from using it if I really NEED it. Not that I NEED to have all this music...I just wanted to point out that sometimes laws are stupid in certain circumstances.

Furthermore, there is a vast majority of files I download that are records that I once owned (read: already paid for) but, for one reason or another, had to sell. And sold for pennies on the dollar to used record stores who marked them up to get at least a 60% profit. I've paid for that music...or I should say, I've already paid the record companies for the right to "own" that music. All I really sold was the storage medium (vinyl, cassettes, 8-track, etc.). The music is mine and always will be, so I don't feel at all guilty about reclaiming it. Maybe that's a deluded way of looking at things, but it makes sense to me.

There's really no way of policing it, who it's okay for and for whom it should be considered a crime. Make no mistake, I think music SHOULD be paid for, but only by those who can afford to pay for it. That's where it should become a moral issue. On a personal level. Of course the RIAA could care less about individual circumstances, so I can only cross my fingers and hope that I don't end up being one of the poor schmucks they pick out of the pool to make examples of. If you are reading this, RIAA folks, I am sorry. If it's any consolation to you, I've come to the point where I've decided to slow down considerably. I've almost built my collection up to the point where it was before I was forced to sell all my records. At this point I have a hard time even finding the stuff I once had. So let's just let it lie, okay? No one is hurt and I'm sure the bands will be glad that someone's still listening.

No comments: