7.12.2009

Vacation 2009 Part 3: Eureka Springs thoroughfare and Opera in the Ozarks

Couldn't sleep well last night so I'm sitting in bed with computer in lap, wishing it weren't so early. It's 8:25 am right now and I know that's not really all too early but I woke up almost 2 hours ago, I'm worn out from a full day's activities in sweltering hot weather and besides, this is a vacation. I'm supposed to get to sleep in as long as I want (or at least till check out). My head is hurting from all the strain on my eyes the last couple of evenings...I have chronic dry eye. All the focusing in one spot and bright stage lights take their toll. On top of that, these beds in this Howard Johnson's are not too comfortable. Not so much the mattresses, but the pillows are not to my liking and it is much too small for a man and wife who have grown used to a king size bed.

But I don't mean to complain. All in all this has been a very enjoyable vacation. The only thing that could have made it any better would have been a Sigur Ros concert. :) Maybe next year they'll be touring during this time of year. I'm hoping that they will do a few dates in Texas or one of the other bordering states so I can follow them to AT LEAST two shows.

Anyway. We drove to Berryville just before noon yesterday mainly to see the mountains. Nothing special for lunch at all. Stacie and Bryan ate at Kentucky Fried Chicken, where they had a big buffet set up. I don't eat chicken (dirty bird) so I left them and went to Taco Bell, where I tried their newest menu iten, the cheesy potato and bacon burrito. If my opinion were asked for I would say that it isn't too bad. It's got a lot of what it says it's got...potatos, bacon and cheese, but there's just something bland about it. I don't foresee it becoming terribly popular. It's "for a limited time" status will probably be the last we see of it. There was a Pizza Hut just across the lot, but they were one of those locations that don't serve a lunch buffet, and that's really all I want from them.

We drove back to Eureka Springs after lunch and I took my wife to the Business District, which is rife with shops, eateries, and other establishments where one can purchase a potpourri of items. The nice thing about this place is that it doesn't really give off too much of a "tourist city" vibe. Stacie bought a Eureka Springs shot glass...she collects shot glasses. Ain't that cool? As for me, I came out of it with a Navy t-shirt and a pair of "Chinese Balls". Those suckers are COOL! I don't know that I could do justice to describing them...they are two slick balls about the size of ping pong balls (maybe just a little bit smaller). I think there may be some kind of magnetic element on the inside because they seem to very lightly repel each other. You're supposed to kind of juggle them in the palm of your hand. The balls put light pressure on points of your palm that are targets in acupuncture, and this supposedly improves concentration, facillitates ease in falling to sleep and various other helpful benefits. They look real cool, too. Shiny and slippery, with yin-yang symbols painted on. And I should also point out that there are tiny bells inside of them, so when you roll them around in your hand there is a slight ringing sound, the tones of which are also supposed to do something along the lines of "peace" and "tranquility" and all that stuff. Do I think they really have these powers of healing? Well, I have my doubts, but who knows? I WISH they did, so maybe such positive thinking will translate into manifestation.

We spent a good hour after we got back to the hotel trying to ascertain where Opera in the Ozarks was located. We thought we saw it on the way here. There was what looked like a marquee (though it could well have just been a sign) and Stacie even thought she heard singing as we passed by. But when we checked our driving directions from Yahoo Maps it showed that it was in the opposite direction. We were pretty sure it was wrong so we looked at MapQuest. Their map agreed with the Yahoo map, so we were starting to worry. Finally we logged in to Google Maps, and they, too, said our destination was further west than from where we thought we saw it. Stacie went downstairs and asked the attendant if he knew...which he didn't...but he was extremely helpful, offering us a program (which didn't have a map, unfortunately) and even going so far as to call someone he knew to find out. The end result being that he wasn't sure but he thought it was west of town, where we had driven by the day before. As it turned out, that's exactly where it was. THREE SEPARATE INTERNET MAPS WRONG!!! Can you believe that? I've heard people complain about them not being reliable sometimes, and I have always believed that's probably the case, but I've always had good luck with them. Not anymore. I guess I'll have to work my way through a REAL map next time, and not rely on driving instructions.

As noted in the last post, we made it to the opera just fine. The amphitheatre was small and VERY hot. We'd bought reserved seat tickets so we were only three rows back from the stage. Most of the action took place within 10-20 feet in front of us!

Just a little bit of information about Opera in the Ozarks...it's basically a camp for budding opera singers from all over the country, just out of college or working on their masters...if they pass the audition and are accepted they pack up their belongings and take up residence at a place called Inspiration Point, where the rehearsals and performances take place. There they work from 9 in the morning till 10 o' clock every day learning the productions and readying them for the season. Obviously we've got some VERY dedicated folks here, and their passion for opera is unmistakeable. Not only are they dedicated, they are incredible talented.

Last night was a "double bill", in which they put on two complete operas: Englebert Humperdinck's "Hansel and Gretel" (in English) and Ruggero Leocavallo's "Pagliacci" (in the original Italian). The former was light fare. Entertaining to a degree, but if it had been the only production of the evening I would have left unsatisfied. "Pagliacci", on the other hand, was truly magnificent. Both of the guys who played Tonio and Pagliacci were exceptional, with deep, robust singing voices. Being in such a small venue probably helped, but the chorus was marvellous, nice and loud...really is a treat to hear so many trained voices raising the roof without the aid of a PA system. To top it all off, the orchestra was great. They were to our immediate left, about 5 yards away. Sitting so close to them made it seem like they were louder than they probably were. It's a testimony to the vocalists abilitiy that they were never drowned out by the instrumental music.

Stacie is in agreement with me, insomuch as "Hansel and Gretel" left much to be desired but that "Pagliacci" was stellar. I think she may just develop a taste for Italian opera, though she says she'll probably never be able to enjoy just a recording. I tell her that you have to come at it with different expectations if you want to enjoy a recording. But to be sure, it is a very different sort of experience and appreciation. I'm sure it's a given that live performances are the ideal...well, of course they are.

I would definitely like to come back soon, when the season's offerings look appealing. The director said something about how they may be constructing an indoor facility, complete with air conditioning. Oh, how nice that would be!

Okay, the time has come to pack up our shit and hit the road. We may stop for a lake cruise by Beaver Dam in a few hours, so I really should get in the shower. I'll have some photos to share next time I post.

No comments: