7.10.2009

Vacation 2009 part 1

We left the house at about 9:00 am for our 2009 vacation in Eureka Springs, Arkansas. The plan is to attend the "Great Passion Play" tonight and then a couple of operas at Opera in the Ozarks. I'm looking forward to the operas, though not terribly excited about the passion play. You've seen one, you've seen 'em all, I think. I may be proven wrong...who knows but that it could be the highlight of the entire trip. Stacie wanted to go, so we extended the vacation from one to two nights. She went to it when she was very young and her religious devotion is much more fervent than mine, so I'm sure she will like it very much, as will Bryan, whose never been to one of these things.

As for Opera in the Ozarks...I just happened to stumble upon their website while looking for stuff to do in Eureka Springs. Stacie thought it might be nice to come here this time around and I figured she was probably right. I wasn't expecting to find anything remotely like the opera, though. It's just not something you would associate with the Ozarks, which has always had a reputation for hillbillies and jamborees (God, I hate jamborees). Opera in the Ozarks is actually a camp for aspiring singers where they stay for a couple of months or so training, rehearsing and ultimately performing three operas per season. Tomorrow night they'll be doing a "double feature": "Pagliacci" & "Hansel & Gretel". I'm excited to see the former, but to be honest I could care less about "Hansel & Gretel". It will probably prove to be just as entertaining. I shouldn't judge it until I've seen it.

The trip was actually not too bad, four hours and all. Truth be told, I really enjoyed it. Normally I don't like long drives, but then again, the last time we went somewhere out of state (Kansas City last year) I was not the driver. I guess it's not as boring when you're behind the wheel, concentrating on the road and traffic ahead of and behind you. The new car we've got is a much smoother ride than I'm used to, and the stereo isn't half bad, either.

Eureka Springs is in the heart of the Ozark mountains, so the paths were twisting, turning and very very, steep. It didn't bother me too much but both the wife and son were complaining about popping ears and waves of nausea.

We made a detour to see the Hoover Dam, which was really awesome. You have to pay to park in the camp area where you could really take in the sight, but for one thing we didn't plan on staying long enough to pay for anything, even if it were only a couple of dollars. Furthermore I just don't see why anyone should have to pay for it. Surely it's not private property, but what do I know?

I'm currently camped out at a Howard Johnson's, resting before getting ready to experience the Passion Play (I guess it would have been cheaper to have stayed home and watched "The Passion", but my home theater is busted...ha ha ha). I want to get an hour's nap in, so I guess I'm shutting this down for now.

More tomorrow.

No comments: