7.26.2009

Jonsi and Alex: "Riceboy Sleeps"


Though I liked it enough on the first listen, I think Jonsi & Alex's "Riceboy Sleeps" is going to be one that will have to grow on me. Now that I kind of know what to expect I'll wait until I'm in the mood for some "space music" before playing it again. And make no mistake, that's basically what this is...not quite ambient but too subtle and delicate to be much more. Aural wallpaper is a good way to look at it, if you can get past the negative connotations that might be associated with that term. After all, there's nothing wrong with wallpaper, especially if it's pretty.

Jonsi has always maintained that he uses his (awesome) voice as if it were an instrument in a band. This is a key to unlocking the charms of his work with Sigur Ros. But where he uses it as a lead instrument in that band, it is employed in a much more subtle manner in this project (in which he collaborates with his boyfriend, Alex Somers). Like a haunting background synth only much more organic (even if it IS processed). You're 25 minutes into the album before he comes to the fore and lays down some trademark Jonsi sounds. Then, after a moment or two, he returns to the ethereal waxing and waning in back of the mix.

There seem to be quite a few "found sounds" in the album. Not knowing exactly what it is you're hearing is pretty cool. But the lack of structure throughout the entire record is frustrating. At least, I should say, it was during this first listening. In the future I'll surrender myself to whatever direction it wants to take me. I'm sure I'll have a sweet trip and a "safe journey, space fans" "Hearts of Space" experience then.

And speaking of "trip". I have no doubt in my mind, none whatsoever, that "Riceboy Sleeps" is a perfect accompaniment to a session with the hallucinogenic drug of your choice. I hope to find out for myself soon. (he he)

Are Sigur Ros fans going to like it? We'll just have to wait and see. Not that it matters much, since the band is in the studio at this very minute recording tracks for an album due out next year. "Riceboy Sleeps" may be a pleasant blip on their radar. Hardcore fans are going to really get into it, while the more casual listeners, expecting something else, will dismiss it. Isn't that the way it always is, though?

I am, beyond the shadow of a doubt, one of those hardcore fans, and for me it's just fascinating to hear these sounds that come from Jonsi & Alex's head.

No comments: