6.02.2009

I just heard Peter Gabriel's "Don't Give Up" on my Lastfm radio. There's this line that Kate Bush sings, "Don't give up, because you have friends". And I got to thinking that every single one of the people I call "real friends" are miles away and/or out of touch. No one to hang out with anymore. Not counting the wife and kid, of course. I have to wonder just how much harm not having friends does to the psyche. I think it probably does a fair amount of damage.

But what can I do? I'm a hard person to get to like.

A couple of months ago I was re-united with a guy I knew in high school. We weren't extremely close, but he ran in the same circles as I did. I would have considered him a friend, even if not as close as those who I have made since then. I invited him to visit me at my house and he showed up. We remenisced and I thought we had a good time. We decided it would be cool to do some of the things we used to do in the early 80s...go to movies, some music venues, that kind of stuff. Maybe watch a DVD together. Plans were made for him to come back early the next week and we were going to watch "There Will Be Blood".

He never showed up. Didn't call, nothing. I didn't see him again until a couple of nights ago, when he passed my house on a walking jaunt with his family. He called out to me and I returned the greeting, but I let them walk on without saying anything else.

I tried.

No comments: