6.17.2009

A couple of random thoughts and such.

First off, I think the time has finally come for me and my family to boycott Wal-Mart. I can't count the number of times I've bought defective merchandise there. A re-packaged home theater system, a CD Walkman that never worked, fucked up portable stereo systems, the list goes on. But what are you gonna do? You think it's the only place you can really save money and get everything you need in one stop. Well, no more. I'll just have to see how much extra money I'll have to spend and how many places I'll have to go to buy what I need. It won't be Wal-Mart. The straw that broke the camel's back was a box of "Black Angus steak burgers that were gristly as hell. I can't stand that. We've been buying these things for a long time...we grill them and eat them like steaks...and they've always been excellent. But the ones we tried to eat last night were awful. There's another box in the freezer, too, so I can only hope that it won't be more of the same. You say it's not Wal-Mart's fault that I got a bad box of meat? Maybe not. But it's the Wally World GV brand and I expected no less than what I've had in the past (these things are not cheap). Furthermore, we purchased a charcoal griller and only two of the four legs were in the box. God, that's frustrating when you take something out of the box to assemble and find out that there are parts missing. We're just really sick of Wal-Mart. It's such a boring place to shop. Same layout in every store, same old brands stocked, on and on and on. It's time for a change.

I took the family to Pops Monday afternoon. Pops is a restaurant/convenience store in Arcadia that offers more than 500 varieties of soda pop. The selection is staggering. The food is pretty good, too. It took a long time for us to choose our six pack of specialty sodas, but we eventually did. Stacie got a green apple and a raspberry soda (both of which were very good). Bryan picked a grape pop and something called black lemonade. The grape was okay, but I didn't like the black stuff at all. As for me, I picked up a Faygo Rock & Rye, which I used to get in the late 80s. I also chose an Avery birch beer and it was fantastic. I may be going back this weekend and even though I really want to sample a lot of different kinds, I think I'll have to get another one of those birch beers.

Today has been rough. The heat was miserable. I had medication clinic, and that's never fun. To top it all off, the little black girl who counted my pills made the implication that I wasn't taking them. She did that last month, too, only that time she came right out and said she thought I wasn't taking them. She's not the regular "pill-counter", only filling in for the guy who usually does it but has, for whatever reason, not been there the last couple of months. I let it slide last month, but I got a little huffy with her today. I was like, "I don't mean to sound hostile, but last week you accused me of not taking them and I'm not gonna stand for that...if you knew what I'd gone through that got me on those pills in the first place you wouldn't be worrying about whether I was taking them or not." She puts on this really sweet act, but she's actually quite condescending. At any rate, it spoiled my mood, which wasn't real good in the first place. My mind became flooded with thoughts about how fucked up I must be to have to even go to this place. One thought led to another and before you know it I have this hopeless feeling and all I want to do is go home, get in bed, turn on some music and try to forget about everything.

No comments: