6.05.2009

Before he began hosting the Tonight Show I was sure that Conan O'brien would fail. I said 6 months tops. Don't know why I was so anti-Conan...probably saw a really bad monologue on Late Night and figured he's lost it. But I have to say I was wrong. O'brien is really tearing it up. His monologues still suck, but the sketches are fucking classic. 4 nights in a row he's had me hoo-hawing. I never was much of a Leno fan (he's okay) and when he was on it was a difficult choice between the Tonight Show and Letterman. But Letterman pales in comparison to Conan. He's lost it, or run out of it, or whatever it is that happened, he just isn't very funny anymore. In fact he's often downright annoying, and this from a man who has been a huge fan since the early 80s. I'm hoping Leno will do well in the 9 o'clock slot (that's Central time, btw)...I like the idea of a nightly variety show. Big gamble on the part of NBC and I hope it pays off. But for right now there's no disputing it: Conan RULES late night television.

No comments: