5.07.2009

First batch of Netflix reviews

Since I got my Netflix account a couple of weeks ago I have enjoyed writing little "miniature reviews" directly after viewing a film. So I figure I'll post a few here every now and then.

"Joy Division: Under Review"
I screwed up. I thought I was getting the Joy Division documentary that came out at the same time as "Control" (which, btw, I hated). I was wrong. Much to my disappointment this tedious hour and a half is little more than a handful of pompous critics presiding over what might as well have been "Joy Division 101". You can add up the total running time of every music performance clip and probably not exceed one dull minute. The REAL Joy Division documentary (the Grant Gee directed one) is in my queue right now and hopefully I won't make this same mistake twice.

"Stroszek"
This is the first film of Herzogs that Ive seen, though I have wanted to watch it for a long time (fascinated, as I was, that viewing it was the last thing Joy Divisions Ian Curtis did before hanging himself). It is a depressing movie, but it has its share of humorous moments (We cant stop the dancing chicken HA HA!). As with all great motion pictures, Stroszek makes you care for the characters and their plight. The scene in which the premature baby grasps the fingers of the doctor as he pulls him up was extraordinarily moving. The film takes its time and some might call it a slow mover. So it may be, but the pace allows the viewer a little more time to invest in a movie that pays off big time.

"You're Gonna Miss Me"
Fantastic documentary not so much about the burned out acid casualty madman rocker as it is the environment he lives in, the people who care for him and the effect he has on those people. Sure, Rokys the one with the diagnosis, but NOBODY here has got their s*** together. The music selection is very good and seeing this aspect of his personality certainly places it in a new light. If you haven't heard "I Think of Demons" you should surely WANT TO listen to it after seeing "You're Gonna Miss Me". And Ill bet you'll like it, even if it DOES creep you out a little.

"Irreversible"
For better or worse, "Irreversible" revolves around two scenes. Everything else gets overshadowed by them. The film plays out in reverse, so one can assume that it's important to know how these pivotal scenes came into play. It is not. The victims here did nothing to deserve their fate...the choices they made which brought them to their predicaments are arbitrary and play no role in the tragedy that follows. And so, as should be expected in a film that portends to play out backwards, it is anti-climactic. I knew what I was getting into when I watched it, so I wasn't as shocked by the "fire extinguisher scene" or the unspeakable rape scene as I might have been if I didn't already know what to expect. But they were still impossible to view without flinching. They were, without a doubt, the most horrific things I've ever seen on film. If that were the measure of success then there's no doubt "Irreversible" excels. But I'd hoped for more thought provoking context and it just wasn't there.

"GG Allin: Savage South"
I've only watched the first 30 minutes of this one so far...I may watch the rest later...maybe not. Half an hour is just about all it takes, though, to get the picture. This will please Allin fans immensely but "Hated in the Nation" is the best starting point for the curious. Be forewarned: it is a disquieting thing to see a man bereft of any shred of dignity, prodded like an animal and returning in kind. In it's own way GG Allin's concerts were as frightening as any horror movie, and even more so his tragic life.

"The Indian Runner"
What a tedious movie this is. Borders on boring. I only watched it because I knew it was based on the Springsteen song "Highway Patrolman". Great song. You'd think it would translate well to film. Not in this case. Sean Penn can be forgiven, as this is his first attempt to write and direct. Nevertheless, IMO, he fails on both counts. The whole "indian runner" theme was under-developed. A couple of scenes were outright dumb. Acting was sub paar on behalf of practically everyone involved. The only thing "The Indian Runner" has going for it is the bare bones of a story, thanks to Bruce Springsteen. Maybe some day it will be developed in a more professional and entertaining manner.

"Fela in Concert"
I've enjoyed everything Ive ever heard by Fela Kuti, though I will admit that its not very much. Reading the other reviews here I am surprised at the thought that this may not be one of his best shows. Because it is really very good. If there are better available then I really look forward to seeing/hearing them. Sound quality on DVD is poor throughout. Performance and the sheer enigmatic persona of Kuti make up for it. The soloists seem to have a bit of trouble getting into the groove but once they do its perfect. The horn section is TIGHT, and as far as Im concerned they are the highlight of the show.

"Dig"
I havent heard much from BJM and I really dont like the Dandy Warhols, but this film was great. Not even about music. Just these incredibly strong personalities. Dig was a surprise...I wasnt expecting it to be so good.

"Screaming Masterpiece"
Excellent documentary showcasing Icelandic popular music. Bjork and Sigur Ros are the heavy hitters here, but it's certainly not a film ABOUT them. Instead we are given a fairly broad overview of several other bands and artists who build an even stronger case for the originality of the awesome music coming from that part of the globe. Filmed before the seminal Sigur Ros film "Heima", it is striking how much the two films share in common. I enjoyed it immensely and will most likely buy a copy of my own.


By the way, if you have a Netflix account and would like to be my "Netflix friend", just click on the logo in the right sidebar of this page. "Be my Netflix friend"...almost sounds like a request you might find at Adult Friend Finder, no? Heh heh!

No comments: