4.09.2009

Springsteen at the BOK Center in Tulsa, 4/7/09

When I first heard that Bruce Springsteen was playing a show in Tulsa I was ecstatic. But it turned out to be short-lived, as I could not find transportation. I won't drive after dark anymore because my eyesight has degenerated to the point where the bright lights of the oncoming cars are too much to handle. I tried to hook up with some friends who I figured would definitely be going. They opted out, though, discouraged by the concert being held on a weeknight...personally, had I been in their shoes, I certainly would not have let that stop me. We're talking about BRUCE SPRINGSTEEN here. He may never swing through Oklahoma again. So I didn't bother buying a ticket...which I probably couldn't have anyway...I didn't have an extra hundred bucks to blow.

I have a friend who bought a couple, though. I figured he was going to ask some lucky girl to the show (that's one hell of a great date, no?). I later learned that he was planning on taking a close relative. As it turned out, however, an unfortunate set of circumstances prevented him from going at all, and I wound up with both of his tickets (which were choice seats he'd bought from an Internet site for $200 apiece). All I had to do was procure transportation and I figured that would be easy enough...I mean, the deal would be "Free Springsteen ticket for a ride to Tulsa and back".

I thought about who I could ask...my wife didn't want to go for the same reason as my friend: it was a work night. It was a school night for my son, so he was out (wouldn't have mattered, seeing as how he's 14 and can't drive a car yet!). After considering a few people I decided that the one person I knew who would enjoy the show as much as myself was my brother, Charles. So I rang him up, told him I had a Springsteen ticket for him if he would drive. It didn't take much persuading, as you might guess.

We made it to Tulsa and it wasn't too hard locating the BOK Center. We got to the general vicinity and there was no way I could miss it. Wow! An incredible structure, to say the least. It stands out from the rest of Tulsa's skyline in a major way. A very contemporary design, the architecture is magnificent. It's pretty awesome on the inside, too. Strange to say, but I'd go to just about any event held there just to enjoy the building.

The crowd was huge...I did, however, notice one thing...of all the many, many people I saw, I don't remember that ANY of them were black. I don't know what that means, or if it means anything...I don't know why Springsteen's music wouldn't appeal to any race, creed, religion, gender, etc. and etc. and etc....but it was most definitely a Caucasian majority. Most were around my age, maybe a little older. That, however, was to be expected. Nevertheless there were a LOT of teens, several really old folks, and not a few young 'uns with their dads and moms.

The show didn't sell out, and the only reason I can think of for that is the Tuesday night slot. Even that isn't a good excuse and I was a little embarrassed that Oklahoma didn't put in a better showing for the Boss. Still, sell-out or no, the crowd was HUGE. I've never been in an arena before and this was a real treat for me. The roar of the crowd and the sheer numbers...I loved it. I am going to have to make plans to go to the BOK as often as I can. I don't even care if all I can get are the cheap, upper level seats. In fact, I think I would really like being up so high in the stadium, because the crowd is almost as fun to watch as the show.

Springsteen put on an incredible performance. I don't have to tell you that. The sound left a lot to be desired during the first 45 minutes to an hour. Feedback squall on a couple of occassions and this is just too professional a show to have something like that happen. It all came together soon enough, though. The set list was a very good one...I can't complain. I liked the new songs more that I thought I would. "The Wrestler", which I hadn't heard yet, truly blew me away. It is destined to be one of his greater songs. The lights and stage set up were very tastefully and well done. And our seats weren't so gar off that we couldn't see the expession on Bruce's face.

All in all a wonderful evening that will go down as one of the best concerts I've ever been to.

No comments: