4.26.2009

A Night at the Opera


We went to the opera in Tulsa last night. I've wanted to see one for as long as I can remember. I was not disappointed. The Tulsa Opera Company's production of Donizetti's "L'elise L'amore" was wonderful. I don't know enough about live opera to be critical or to expound upon underlying themes and what not. I'd just as soon never get to that point, as I enjoyed it immensely without knowing all of that stuff.

I bring that up because there was this older guy there, neck in a brace and surrounded by three or four other well attired people, pontificating (in a snooty fashion) about how "L'Elise L'amore" had "decidedly heterosexual overtones" while a production from some earlier date was rife with subconscious homosexual references. Poo. I mean, who the fuck CARES? But even more ridiculous, must it be pointed out that an opera about a man and a woman falling in love has "heterosexual overtones"??? Duh?

Snobby Moron aside, it was a fine evening for all of us. Stacie has been known to say that she hates opera...I knew, though, that if I could get her to watch a real. LIVE one she might very well change her mind about it. And I think that's what happened. She liked it a lot more than she thought she would. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if she were just as eager to see another one as I am. As for Bryan...he's never told me how much he likes opera. He listens to and appreciates classical music of all kinds so I don't doubt that he went into it last night knowing what he was in for. Still, I think the grand scale of the production impressed him. It certainly did me.

I would have preferred a more serious work ("L'Elise L'Amore" is a light romantic comedy), maybe some Wagner, but no matter. This was as good an introduction to the art form as any. In fact, I'm positive that Stacie and Bryan would not have liked anything more serious this first time around.

The company is performing another Donizetti work this October (the name of which escapes me), and I think we'll be going to that one. "Rigoletto" is the first show of next year, and I REALLY want to see that one (gotta love Verdi).

2 comments:

d said...

I imagine opera is similar to experimental noise is to me - not nearly as enjoyable in recorded format. It's the performance and live experience that is so powerful, and that is inevitably lost in a recording.

JC said...

Yeah, you do lose a lot of what makes opera so great when you only listen to recordings. I like hearing it on XM Radio but there's no doubt that the experience is enhanced by about 100% in a live performance.