2.03.2009

"Snow White 8 Ball" reviews and responses

When I entered "Snow White 8 Ball" into garageband's contest I thought it would fare well. After all, "Take You to Hell" has kicked ass. I was sure that "8 Ball" was the better song.

But the reviews I've been getting so far are, to say the least, lukewarm. It's kind of disheartening, but I don't expect everyone to like it.

Anyhoo, I thought I'd post and respond to the reviews before there are too many to mess with.

Trance feel with crazy background
A little too repetitive at times, but for what the song sounds like it's going for, it's definitely an adventure. The voices all over the place give the song a super trippy feel, but get old after awhile. The way the rest of the song is brought back in is cool. Nice usage of beat.

Okay, this is a fair review. I do think it has a trippy feel. I can see how someone might feel that the voices are repetitive. I can tell this guy listened to the whole song (instead of the minimal 30 seconds the site requires before the reviewer gets credit). I appreciate that.

Video Game music intro
Sounds like tape trick i did when i was 15. when the beats finally come in it's much better. I like the drum line alot. Maybe this should be an actual song, not just loop of noise and effects.

Now this guy probably didn't listen to the whole song. If he had he probably would have commented on the middle "break down" section and see how it turns the piece into "an actual song". Furthermore, if he thinks it sounds like a "tape trick he did when he was 15" he must not have gone too far into it. The whole idea of that intro is to contrast such "tape experiments" with what comes after. Like, "Oh, man, this is gonna be some amateur tape tinkering", and then the real song comes in and takes over. Oh, well. He liked the drums. Sure he did.

On the ceiling
This track builds slowly into a medley of styles. Big atmospheric pads annotated with bizarre vocal hollerings. This is definatly experimental.

Thanks, dude, but do you think you might could elaborate a bit more?

chaos
I'm not so sure about the chaotic sounds of the sampler (or was it recorded for this song particular). Not that it's bad, but just not my style. I like the beat. 5:48 is a bit too much for this song, I have to say. There is not enough development in this number for this amount of time. It would be good on the soundtrack of some weired ass movie.

5:48 may well be too long for this song. It's a good thing I didn't enter it's 14 minute expansion like I thought about doing. But I'd bet big bucks that this guy only listened to the minimum 30 seconds. Not enough development? Are you kidding? Once again, the middle section is essential in this respect. If you're not going to give it enough attention to make it to that part then I would just as soon you not review it. "Soundtrack for a weired (sp) ass movie." Sure it is, joker.

Review
Very first sample seem like it was added simply because it could be added. It did not blend with the rest of the song to me. The song it self has a nice hook and progresses well until the middle (2:40) where it dies until the song is reprised at 4:00. Overall I felt this song was a demonstration of the artist's sample collection rather then artistic prowess. Matbe I just don't get it.

Clever review title there, huh? "Added simply because it could be added"? Hell, you could say that about the whole song. Come on, guy...it's in the "experimental rock" genre. At least put yourself in that mindset if you're gonna review it. Demonstration of my sample collection? What the fuck is that all about? Fuck you, what do you know about "artistic prowess"? I put a shit load of hours and work into this and I'm cool with people not liking it but fuck you if you can't appreciate what goes into making music like this. I've listened to this guy's music and I can only excuse his ignorance here because, based on the stuff he does, he has no business reviewing my type of music. I will cut him slack for admitting that he "just (didn't) get it." He didn't.

Feel free to comment and leave your own opinions, positive OR negative:


...by the way, the song DID receive the "Track of the Day" Reviewer's Picks award, so I don't know how the hell that happened. Glad it did, though. Validates some of what I've said here.

To be continued.

No comments: