2.10.2009

"Run"

Just a few days ago I was visited by "Inspiration" and it compelled me to write a song. A country song, at that. When I feel a song coming on there's not much I can do to stop it. The melody forms in my imagination with very little input from me. Then I get a few words which I add to and take away from effortlessly. This, I remind you, is not ME who writes these songs. Good or bad, I really shouldn't take credit for them. Not that this particular Muse can be counted on for consistent quality material, and when she throws me a dud I generally take responsibility.

So if the new one is a dud I have no one to blame but myself for not knowing whether the Muse was at the top of her game or simply doing me a favor to remind me that I AM a songwriter, even if that's a fact that I'm too lazy to acknowledge a lot of the time. My creativity, these days, is channeled into other avenues of expression. It's nice to be able to knock a tune out every once in awhile, though.

"RUN"

Come Sunday morning
I'll be on my way back home
And I know I've been a long time gone
And I know you've been waiting, baby
I can see you there in my mind
I know it's been a long time

chorus:
But ever since I've been away
There were times I've wanted to stay
Maybe leave it all behind
There was always something changed my mind
Can't help the way I feel
Or how I want to steal away
But I know when all is said and done
I'll run back to you someday

Photographs and memories
Lord, they haunt my wandering mind
They make for me an enemy of time
But come Sunday morning
Gonna leave this all behind
'Cause I know just where to find you

chorus

bridge
When all my memories are long dead and gone
I don't see anything in all the days to come
Today I'm walking towards the sun
Tonight I'll turn around and run...

chorus

No comments: