2.27.2009

I just got back from CD Warehouse, the one I used to work at between 2000-2002. I went to sell some CDs from a huge box I have of contemporary Christian music. I don't listen to that stuff anymore, and I doubt very seriously I'll want to hear it again. I've come to the point where I think all that shit is irrelevant to my life and experience. I don't even know if I could tell you why I enjoyed listening to it during the last few years.

Anyway, there were at least 100 discs in the box. I knew the store wouldn't buy them all. I had no illusions that they would even buy most or even half. But there was stuff there that would have sold...or at least I should say that if I were still working there I could have easily sold them.

They only took about 20 of them. I got 25 bucks. I was okay with what they gave me for the ones they kept, as I know exactly how much their system said they were worth. But I was staggered that they took so few. They left behind some titles by artists that are really popular in Christian music...Chris Tomlin, Delirious, Rich Mullens...some potentially collectible stuff, albums by Randy Stonehill, Plumb...Plankeye's entire catalog. If I had the time and inclination I could probably sell most of what I'm still stuck with on eBay.

Which only reinforces my opinion that the young gentlemen employed there are buffoons & bozos.

I don't go to CD Warehouse very often because I can't abide the store's owner, who knows absolutely nothing about music and is only in it for the money...nothing wrong with that, mind you, but I don't have to like the guy. He's clueless. When I worked there I told him that one of his employees was stealing from the store. I had damning evidence, which I presented to him.

He blew it off. Can you believe that? He didn't say a single word about it to anyone. A couple of months after my departure she was caught red-handed and lost her job. I can only wonder how much she ripped off from him in the time between then and the time I told him about it?

What a strange atmosphere in that place. I was there only a couple of days ago (to buy a DVD I could find nowhere else) and they were playing some Christian "praise and worship" music. REALLY BAD "praise and worship" music. Just an awful performance and arrangement of a song that's been recorded a thousand times by Christian recording artists.

When I worked there I played a very wide range of artists and albums. Everything from George Strait to Radiohead. But nothing that would potentially drive away even one customer. I have a feeling this religious music was the motivating factor in the exit of at least two or three that afternoon. It sure made me feel uncomfortable, though I could not explain exactly why.


No comments: