1.11.2009

"Doubt"

"Gran Torino" was sold out yesterday afternoon so we watched another film I'd wanted to see, "Doubt". I'll watch just about anything with Philip Seymour Hoffman, but this one looked interesting in the promos. I have never liked Meryl Streep, and she seems to over-do the character, taking her in very strange directions, ie. facial gestrures, speech patterns, that kind of thing. It's almost as if she thinks it's a Coen Brothers movie she's in. There may be a method to her madness, but when it was all over I felt like it would have served her better to play the character just a little more naturally.

Hoffman was brilliant, as always.

The movie is a screen adaptation of a very successful play, and it certainly feels like it. Which works to it's advantage.

I wouldn't recommend it to anyone who demands a nice, resolved ending they can go away from and forget about soon enough. But I doubt anyone who wants such a conclusion is going to sit through the whole thing, because you can tell in the first 10-20 minutes that this is NOT going to be that kind of film.



This is the 999th post in my blog. BIG TIME! Wow! Maybe I'll have to think of something special for the next post, the 1,000th!

Or maybe not...Might just post some stupid YouTube video. I dunno.

No comments: