12.12.2008

The school's Christmas concert/band queen coronation was held last night. Of course I have no interest whatsoever in who becomes the next band royalty and, truth be told, I would not have even been there except that this is Bryan's first year to play in the high school band (after 3 years in 5th & 6th and Intermediate bands). He was great, as usual, but I don't like all that Christmas music. Who knows...maybe my distaste for the season stems from the fact that it was around this time that my mom left my dad 30 years ago and all the junk that followed. I know, I know. "Get over it and get on with it", right? But I can't and I won't and it doesn't bother me. It's not like I'm out crusading against the holiday. I'm just apathetic towards most of it.

Of course I do get wound up when I hear that stupid B.C. Clark jewelry store jingle, which has embedded itself into the Christmas tradition in Oklahoma every bit as securely as a nativity scene in front of a Catholic church. I'm 46 years old, and they were playing this thing in heavy rotation when I was a toddler. It's the exact same version they play today (of course, for authenticy's sake). Only now they show a variation of it in which several randomly chosen people sing a line each, showing, beyond the shadow of a doubt, just how firmly entrenched this idiocy is in the hearts and minds of the Sooner state's population. I guess the prevailing popular consensus is that "it just wouldn't be Christmas without the B.C. Clark jingle". Which is true. It would be a much BETTER Christmas. I'd be happy to just get ONE YEAR without it's glockenspiel-laden cheeriness. What a nice break that would be.

As it is:

"Jewelry is the gift to give
Cuz it's the gift that'll live and live
So give the gift you know can't fail
From B.C. Clark's anniversary sale

"Most sales are after Christmas
But Clark's is just before
Most everything is marked way down
Savings you can't ignore

"At Oklahoma's oldest jeweler
Since 1892
So give the gift you know can't fail
From B.C. Clark's anniversary sale"

There...that's out of my system. Sheeeeesh . But do you want to know just how ridiculous it really is?

THE JINGLE ITSELF HAS IT'S OWN WEBSITE!?!?!?!?!?!

Insanity.

No comments: