12.10.2008

I went to the video store a couple of days ago and rented three movies:

"Hang 'Em High"...I figured I might just get in the mood to watch an old Clint Eastwood western sometime this week.

"Salem's Lot"...not that I expect it to be very good (it's the Rob Lowe version, not the ancient take with David Soul, which was abominable). The thing is, it's been almost 30 years since I read the book. It made a Stephen King fan out of me. I rented this movie because I've forgotten so much of it and I wanted to be reminded, at least to the extent that a movie adaption is able to provide (which is usually not much, but hey...).

And finally, I picked out a thing called "Unspeakable". It had Dennis Hopper's picture on the front of the box so I figured I'd see what he had been up to. Truth be told I get irritated by the man these days, ESPECIALLY that commercial he did that's on TV too often. But I do remember his outstanding roles in "Easy Rider" and especially "Blue Velvet", so I figure "what the hell", maybe he'll get on my good side again.

After I brought the DVD home I looked it up on IDMB and what do you think I saw? Check these review headers:

~~~"Unwatchable"
~~~"Embarrassing on Dennis Hopper's part"
~~~"This movie B L O W S"
~~~"Blarg! Mongo say BAD! BAAAAAAAAD!"
~~~"I wouldn't pay for it!"
~~~"Unspeakably Bad Film"
~~~"Unspeakably awful"
~~~"tried to make a movie but failed"
~~~"A waste on so many levels!"
~~~"could have used a better editor"
~~~"Painful to watch"

These are just a few of the negative comments found in the first two pages or reviews at IMDB. To be fair, there were two or three that said it was okay, but the overwhelming majority trashed it fiercely.

You know what that means?

Now I REALLY want to watch it.

No comments: