12.07.2008

Hoola Boola and the Jonestown tape


Now folks, I am warning you that this is one of the most bizarre things I have ever seen or heard, and I've seen a lot. The website I found it warns people that it is "sickness inducing", and from the looks of the comments left there apparently some have definitely become queasy or even ill by seeing/hearing it. It doesn't do that to me, but I will attest to it's extreme creepiness.

The video is best experienced, so say the creators, with lights down low and through a good set of headphones. You're also instructed to "look through the image". I did that the second time, but still, no sickness (dadgummit!).

If you want the real deal...something horrible, sickening, evil, cruel, angering, upsetting, saddening...if you want some awful reality to counter all the fake crap that floats around the internet, there is this:


It's the ninth entry on a list of "Top Ten Incredible Recordings" that can be found at The List Universe. The other 9 (with bonus 11th) are interesting in their own way. Especially the Russian exorcism. But there are very few things I can think of that are as disturbing as this tape, made during the last hours at Jonestown, as Jim Jones encourages his flock to "take the medication" and exhorts them to give it to their children. The tension and fear of death is palpable here, as is the fanaticism of the ones who were more than willing, even eager to do as their leader commanded.

I want to say flat out that this is not something for the faint of heart. I listened to it because the subject has fascinated me for a long time. I offer the link here for others who may share this admittedly morbid interest.

Trust me, though. Compared to the Jonestown tape, the video above is child's play when it comes to inducing sickness.

No comments: