11.10.2008

"Rolling Stones: Shine a Light:"

I was writing a good, well-thought out review of the Martin Scorsese Rolling Stones film "Shine a Light". It was going well...better writing that I've done in a long time, if I may humbly say so.

I don't know what key I accidentally hit. It was NOT a key, or combination of keys, that should have been hit. Suffice to say that an hour of work has been sucked into an endless void from which I have no hope of retrieving it.

So, the condensed version (as I am not in the mood to repeat my verbose original)...

Not what I thought it would be. More or less just another concert film. Pretty good show, it's true, but I've never been convinced that the Stones are one of the best live acts that have ever graced a stage. I wanted a documentary in the style of Scorses's Dylan bio-pic "No Direction Home". Teasers throughout. Too short.

Jagger didn't sing the line in "Some Girls" about black girls' proclivity for sexual endurance. I was glad. I hate that line, always have. Mick must have been desperate to stir up controversy when he wrote that. At least he seems to realize, now, how inappropriate and offensive it is.

Keef was the star of the show. He has been the main man for years, probably since 1970. Don't tell Mick Jagger, though. It would crush him. Yet, it is true.

Buddy guy held his own with the boys. Jack White seemed awfully intimidated. Christina Aguillara tried a little too hard, but she did an admirable job making "Live With Me" just a little sexier than the original version.

The "Supplemental Featurette" included on the DVD comes a little closer to what I wanted this movie to be, but not much. Not nearly enough. It was great to watch the band in a rehearsal situation (though it must be damned hard to concentrate when there are camera men hovering around you). The film clips were interesting.

I didn't worry about watching the 4 Bonus Songs that are part of the Special Features menu. One can only endure Mick Jagger's prancing and preening for so long, and even Keef's buffering power cannot change that fact.

No comments: