10.09.2008

The weather is finally starting to cool down a little bit. Not only will I be a lot more comfortable, our electric bill will drop substantially. If asked I'd have to say that autumn is my favorite season of the year. All the benefits of spring without the incessant tornadoes and such.

I'm going to have to give my Acid epic a couple of days rest (at least). First, I've heard it so many times that I'm almost sick of it. Second, I think I've just about used up all the creative energy I have for that. I need to spend time doing other things because I have put many, many long hours into the project. There's so much more I want/need to do with it but I should wait until I have some fresh ideas. I listened to it on one of the stereos in the office and it just seemed like there was something missing. Or not so much "missing" as that it didn't sound as good through those speakers as it does through my headphones. This discourages me. It makes me think (rightly?) that I need to go back and re-mix levels. Unfortunately there are a couple of sections in this piece that can't be re-mastered. I should have thought about that before I did it that way, but I really didn't think the thing would progress to such relatively massive proportions.

Yes, I will be voting for Obama next month. The whole McCain/Palin campaign seems ridiculous to me.

Bryan's first marching band contest was yesterday. I don't know how they did because apparently they don't get the results the same way. We always did when I was in band, but that's been 30 years ago and I'm sure they do a LOT of things differently now. They went to Pizza Hut for lunch (not the one I've boycotted, thankfully) and he said he sat at the table with the popular kids. He told me that he sat at an empty table and the next thing he knew they were all seated there with him. I'm glad to see that, because he was fairly socially awkward for a long time. He's gained a lot of popularity singing in the talent shows the last couple of years. Maybe that's part of it. Plus the fact that he's just a very musically talented kid and the band people can see that. If they only knew just HOW musically talented he is...all they've heard is his singing and trombone playing. I wonder what they'd think if they heard him playing Mozart on the piano? Or listened to one of the many compositions he's made on the Anvil program?

They may get that chance at the next middle school talent show. He's seriously considering playing piano this time instead of singing. He says he's going to put together a medley. I don't know what he'll wind up choosing, but surely the Mozart sonata section that he's taught himself will be there.

I am very proud of him...I always was, but as he's grown he's given me many more reasons to be proud. In the eighth grade and he already knows infinitely more about math/algebra than I ever did. He uses a lot of spare time writing lengthy stories that revolve around a cast of characters he's created (all of whom are dogs...one is a private investigator, another is that dog's nemesis, you get the idea). He probably has enough to fill a couple of books, and it's really good stuff, too. He's well-behaved and polite. He's extremely intelligent...

I'm sure he gets it from his mom...

No comments: