10.08.2008

Music Video of the Week: Sreamin' Jay Hawkins

After last weeks incredibly "uplifting" Music Video of the Week (in which Joni Lamb just barely upstages Rooster Boy) I feel it is my obligation to explore another, much darker kind of insanity. Well, I don't know, it may not exactly be "darker" but it's sure as hell more bizarre (in the most common definition of the word). Coutesy of the legendary Screamin' Jay Hawkins, "I Put a Spell on You" is the kind of performance that will either have you rolling on the floor, laughing your ass off, or frightened to the point of soiling your jeans. Me? I just got up and my gut hurts. Pause the Sigur Ros jukebox while playing this goofy, yet unsettling video. The juxtaposition of "Spell" and "Glosoli" may well induce a catatonic state.

"I Put a Spell on You"
Screamin' Jay Hawkins

No comments: