9.17.2008

Usually when I enter a contest at garageband.com it is only so the song can go through the review process. I'm not so cocksure as to think that one of my little ditties could win and I really didn't think much about any chart numbers, either.

So I am pleasantly surprised that "Take You to Hell" is currently sitting at #33 out of 175 in the "experimental rock" genre in which I entered it. Not only that, it is #446 of "all-time" out of 2,956. I've won "Track of the Day", "Most Original", "Best Production"and "Best Programming". Not bad at all for a song I just tossed off in a couple of days. Just goes to show how far pure inspiration will take you.

I don't really expect the song to go any further up the charts, but by the same token I never imagined it would be where it is. There are a couple more posted there that I think are just as good and probably better than "Take You to Hell", but I don't think I'll enter any of them in the contest. I have a feeling I can do better and I am not going to waste so much time reviewing song pairs to enter something I'm not 100% pleased with. I'll never know why I entered "O Jimmy Boy". The only part of that song that I like at all is the final "pow wow" section. Still, it's not as bad as "contactjamie" thinks it is:

The drum beat and effects in the beginning are very strong. When the vocals come in, it sounds like a bad version of a bad adrian belew song. I can't understand the lyrics, but they sound awful. This might be the worst thing I've ever heard and fore that I'm sorry. The production is appalling, and it puts me in a bad mood. I guess the sampling is sort of cool. The lyrics and vocals make me downright mad, and I feel like throwing up just to get the taste out of my mouth. This song is utterly disgusting, and the double bass drum moment is hilarious.

...ouch!

Anyway, if you haven't listened to "Take You to Hell" yet, I suggest you do so now before the buzz dies down.

No comments: