9.14.2008

My ultimate Zeppelin compilation

A member of RS.Com Castaways recently posted a list of what he considered to be his "Ultimate Black Sabbath Compilation". It was a good list, although I would have substituted 3 or 4 songs for the several that I had not heard. I decided to make my own list for Led Zeppelin. Here is my post in it's entirety.

I'm undecided as to whether heavy metal was invented by (or at least refined by) Black Sabbath or Led Zeppelin. Don's Sabbath list included most of what I would have chosen (though I would have left a few out) so here's my "Ultimate Zeppelin Comp". As Don did, I have deliberately left out many songs that deserve to be here but have been overplayed to saturation point. One exception being "Stairway to Heaven" because you just can not put together any Zep list without including it, even if you've heard it a thousand times...try this: if you haven't heard it in a year or two go back and play it again...I think it's greatness will dawn upon you once again. No live cuts, or the version of "Celebration Day" on "The Song Remains the Same" would easily have won out over the one on"Led Zeppelin 3".

1. Dazed & Confused
2. Communication Breakdown
3. You Shook Me
4. Whole Lotta Love
5. Ramble On
6. What Is and What Should Never Be
7. Bring It on Home
8. Immigrant Song
9. Celebration Day
10. Gallows Pole
11. Bron-Y-Aur Stomp
12. The Battle of Evermore
13. Stairway to Heaven
14. Going to California
15 When the Levee Breaks
16. The Song Remains the Same
17. The Rain Song
18. No Quarter
19. The Ocean
20. In the Light
21. In My Time of Dying
22. Kashmir
23. Achilles Last Stand
24. Nobody's Fault But Mine
25. For Your Life
26. In the Evening

No comments: