9.25.2008

The abyssmal state of my computer literacy disapponts and frustrates me. As it has on many occasions I find myself once again scratching my head and asking the perenial question, "What the fuck??"

The last couple of days the issue has been re-connecting to our network. Now that I've got that one sussed out I must deal with what will most likely prove to be a tougher issue to deal with: getting the Internet back up and running. I strongly suspect that the culprit in this case is our ISP. I don't know exactly what happened but apparently my son accidentally kicked the power strip that all the computer junk was plugged into and shut it all down. When it was all turned back on we had lost our network connections. The Internet connection on the desktop reverted to Windstream's WLAN mini-port and the automatic connectivity was gone.

I'm hoping that Stacie can remember what Tech Support told her to do last time that happened. Then again, I guess she could always call them again...I just hate having to deal with Tech Support. But I am tapped out as far as possible solutions to this problem.

Which is why I regret not taking the computer courses that were offered at the Jr College I attended for a while back in the early 80s. I mean, this was before the Internet had gone public. I'd bet that the languages and codes they taught have been out of commision for a long time. It was a "ground floor" opportunity and the sad thing is that everyone realized it, it's not like I didn't know it would set me on a path of financial security and, even more importantly, computer geek status.

I shouldn't even be messing with it, as I had originally set aside the day for reading...catching up on a lot of reading that I've been meaning to do but which has been side-tracked by all the Stumbling, blogging and downloading of Sigur Ros concerts. But the prospect of actually fixing the problem after struggling so long yesterday with it...well, it proved to be irresistable. But that was almost 3 hours ago and even though I did re-establish the network, the Internet still eludes. That should really be good enough, I know. But it pains me to know that my laptop lacks one of the most important reasons to even own one. Don't get me wrong...I like to write and I enjoy playing Mahjongg. My WMP is stocked with a lot of great stuff that I haven't had a chance to burn onto CD yet...but it's just not the same without that "window to the world" available at the click of a mouse...

No comments: