8.12.2008

No, "Van Wilder" is not the kind of movie I typically watch. I try to avoid crass and crude humor. There was a time, many years ago, when that kind of stuff left me in stitches. For instance, I once boasted of seeing "National Lampoon's Animal House" no less than 4 times (this was before I was even old enough to get into an R-rated movie...I did it, though). I still think of it as a great movie, but yeah, it's childish.

And so is "National Lampoon's Van Wilder" (childish, that is...I don't know that I'd call it "great"). But you know what? I've been wanting to see it since it came out just because of that "National Lampoon" endorsement. Sure, NatLamp has lent their name to some total crap since the success of the first "Vacation" movie. Still, I'd heard much about how VW was some sort of return to form. Nevertheless, I avoided it, because there are so many GOOD movies out there for me to waste my time on such juvenalia.

But are there? I'm not so sure anymore. I'm in the mood right now to just let a movie's job be to entertain me. I don't want to have my thoughts provoked right now and I don't really care how low the humor is. When it comes to motion pictures it would appear that I have become quite the old "fuddy duddy". Time to pretend I'm a young 'un, as far as taste for movies goes.

That being the case, I actually enjoyed "Van Wilder". Miracles never cease. I've even rented the sequal.

Hoo-ha.

No comments: