6.15.2008

home again

We got back from our vacation at about 8:30 last night. A tiring three days, but worth the tedious moments on the road because the Sigur Ros show was excellent. The venue was sold out, but Bryan and I got the seats we wanted.

The weather turned nasty in the area, but we had no idea just how bad it was until we left the theater. Stacie said that the hotel staff had made everyone go down to the basement, as a tornado had been spotted in the general area. Our motel was only 4 miles from the theater, so there's a good chance that it swung by our way without anyone in the building knowing (or even caring) about it.

I was not aware that an opening act was on the itinerary, but the band's trombone player, Helgi Hrafn Jónsson, played a 6 song set of his own material. He was actually pretty good, though he tended to sing falsetto a bit too much...it probably wouldn't have been noticeable if you didn't know just how much Jonsi sings in falsetto (and how much better he does it).

I've written a bit about the show in a "vacation journal" that I plan on posting here just as soon as I get it typed up. It is rather lengthy, so it may be a couple of days. As such, I'll probably extricate the stuff about the concert and post it separately for anyone who doesn't care to read the extensive "journal".

So, until then...


Photos of the Uptown Theater show that I attended can be found HERE. There's also a review, but I can't say that I'm in agreement with much of it.

Also a ton of KC photos on Flickr.

No comments: