6.27.2008

garageband review exchange: the Butt Plugz

I've taken to reviewing songs at Garageband.com. 15 song pair reviews and I can enter one of mine into the contest. Don't have any ridiculous hopes of winning any contest, but by entering your songs get reviewed, and I'm curious to know what other folks think. From what I've seen there appears to be a lot of ass kissing going on with the reviewers, but I confess I haven't looked deep enough to definitely say that such is the case with all of them.

But it's turned out to be quite fun. I'll probably keep reviewing long after all my songs are eligible for being reviewed themselves.

I received a little feedback this morning and I thought I would share it with you. The "song" I reviewed was an infantile offering from the Butt Plugz with the charming name of "Muffin Top".

My initial review:

I feel as if I'm unqualified to review this song. First of all, I am over the age of 13. That should be enough. Maybe, just maybe, if the production was better, it might fly on Howard Stern's program. That alone should tell you what I thought of this track. I'm sorry I could not come up with anything constructive to say here, but surely no feelings will get hurt when I say this is just plain stupid. Perhaps the people responsible for it will take that as a compliment, and that's fine by me.

Response from the Butt Plugz:

Like I'm supposed to give a f**k about somebody's opinion who's in a band called Bambo, and from Oklahoma to boot. Thanks for the review ya hick.

My reply:

You're more than welcome. I'm sorry I couldn't offer a more encouraging review of your insightful song, "Muffin Top", at least I hope you will appreciate the sincerity with which I judged it. Moreover, having read your profile, I would only add that if you hate your lives so much then why do you give a shit if anyone likes your music?

But I can see, as an ex-pot smoker myself, how it could be a lot of fun to get nice and twisted, break out the guitars and regress to puberty for the evening, recording the experience for posterity. It really does sound like fun...hell, I've done it before. More power to ya.

Nevertheless, I only offered an honest opinion. I said the song was stupid and juvenile. You really think it's not? Was it really meant to be anything more lofty than that? Come on now.

j

If I there are more entertaining exchanges in the future I will bring share them with you.

No comments: