5.03.2008

Back on the circuit

It's probably been about 2 years since I played a solo performance at a club. The last time was at a club called VZD's. It was a disaster. The Mad Laugh had asked me to open for them. I thought things were going fairly well, until the end of the night when the the guy in charge of the waitstaff and bartenders let it be known, loud and clear, that he did not like my stuff. Apparently he'd heard some complaints from people who hadn't come there to hear a guy with an acoustic guitar singing his own songs. They wanted to rock, and I can't hold that against them. VZD's IS a rock music club. I probably was out of my element. Still, the guy didn't have to be an asshole about it.

Funny story...Mike Watt, who was playing bass with the Mad Laugh, really nice guy who enjoys my songs, felt so bad about how things turned out that he insisted that I take the $20 that was his cut for the night (I'd played for free). I told him it was okay, I appreciated the thought, but he insisted. He wouldn't take "no" for an answer, so I broke down and took it. A few hours, just before I was going to leave, Mike came to me and said, "Jimbo, man, I'm sorry, but can I have that 20 back?" Ha! I should have kept it, he'd been so persistent about my accepting it. But I felt for the guy. I returned it.

As I was saying, it's been two years since that unforgettably bad experience, and now I've been booked to play a show at an OKC club called the Speakeasy. The gig will be on May 31. If I can get enough of my friends to come out it will be a fun time. If something else is going on and none of them show...it might not be too pretty.

I'm sure I'll blog about it when it's all said and done...

...but that's a long way's away.

No comments: