4.16.2008

Just came back from a bit of blog surfing. The VAST majority of Blogger blogs I came across were in a language other than English. Now, I've already had my say on this a month or two ago, and I don't feel like going into it again. I guess it's cool to look at all the photos from faraway lands...but I would rather read someone's thoughts and opinions.

Our dog has got problems again. A little over a month ago he was so sick that we really didn't think he was going to pull through. That lasted for at least a week. But he bounced back remarkably.

But recently I noticed that he seemed to be unaware of his surroundings. We thought it might just be that we've moved into another house and he hadn't acclimated himself to it. Then he seemed to have difficulty getting down the porch steps when I'd take him out to "do his duty". Within a couple of days he was very nearly running into things directly in front of him.

His eyes had been cloudy for some time, I had noticed. Lately, though, milkiness looked a bit darker. My wife looked some stuff up on the Internet and found an article which suggested that it could be an issue related to his thyroid. He's a diabetic and already takes medicine for his thyroid, so we thought it was a safe bet to assume that this was the case. We wanted to be so, at least, because if the article was right, the malady was curable. I hate that his vision is as impaired as it seems to be.

We took him to our vet. Immediately he said the problem was cataracts. He barely looked at the dog...either his suspicion was strong or he was too lazy to actually examine him. That was his verdict. Now, this is the guy who basically said it would be a miracle if our dog lived through the last illness. So I don't know. I'm really not sure that I trust him on this one. We're going to take him to the vet in Chandler for a second opinion. I HOPE HOPE HOPE he gives us encouraging news. If that turns out to be the case, we will never go to the other vet again.

It breaks my heart to see him like this, especially after what he went through a couple of months ago. I don't know what we will have to do if he goes totally blind. That is what will happen if it actually is cataracts. I can't imagine how we'd take care of him in such a situation, and we certainly can't afford to have surgery done...

No comments: