4.18.2008

"Beowulf"

FINALLY got around to watching "Beowulf" last night.

Everyone who told me anything about it said that once you got into the film you would forget that it was CGI. And that's exactly how it was. It was really quite astonishing. "Final Fantasy" is the only other all-CGI movie I've ever watched, and "Beowulf" flat out kicks it's ass.

In 1985 I had a premonition that computers would do these kinds of things. I also thought that certain creations would become fan favorites, gaining something like "star status". Back then I thought that would be cool, because there were things these graphic animated characters could do that real actors couldn't. But now, with CGI used in regular movies I see that it can do everything with a real actor than could be done with an animation.

Regardless, it's amazing how far film-making has progressed even in the last 25 years.

No comments: