1.13.2008

"Rush Hour 3"

If asked, I would gladly write a review of "Rush Hour 3". I might even write one even if I wasn't asked (which would be the more likely scenario).

But I won't. I fell asleep about halfway into this third installment of the wildly popular Jackie Chan/Chris Tucker vehicle. I closed my eyes for a moment and the next thing I knew the end credits were rolling. The blooper reel was just beginning, so I roused myself sufficiently enough to enjoy it (gotta love blooper reels).

But the movie was, IMO, a dull affair. The first couple of "Rush Hour"s had their charms. The second was particularly good, so I had reason to hope that the 3rd would be atypical of the downward trend in quality normally inherent in sequels. But this one (at least the first half of it) just didn't have what it takes...to keep me awake, that is.

Maybe I was just tired. That could have been it. There's always the chance that it was a slow starter, and perhaps I should give it the benefit of the doubt. But I don't like self-referential jokes and I don't much care for Chris Tucker. He plays this character in what can only be described as an outdated stereotypical model of "the hip Afro-American cop". He's a 21st century model of "little black Sambo". No doubt he's playing it up for the yucks...it's not as if Don Cheadle would be appropriate for the role. I have to wonder, though, if that schtick is worth overhauling for 3 movies...

I don't think I'll watch it again, maybe pump myself up with a few cans of Monster and try once more. I should have just passed it by for another "non-sequel" movie...

...but right now there are just too few new release DVDs that look to be worth investing a couple of hours into.

No comments: